Originally, Lugliano was dominated in the upper part of the village by a castle, which still has some visible remains.
The first historical memory dates from 853 A.C., it is a document contained in the Archiepiscopal archives of Lucca. It narrates that the Bishop of Lucca “allivella LUPOLO E LEOPRANDO casa e beni posti in loco in LULLIANUM”. In a second document, dated 939, it is mentioned a noble family from Lucca, the Suffredinghi, banned by the Government in 1308 because it appeared to be a too powerful family. Then Lugliano followed the fortunes of the Duchy of Lucca, whose sale led to be part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in 1848 and later of the Kingdom of Italy. This village has always been in a strategic location as it is situated on 3 hills therefore in the past was used to control the streets from the Garfagnana and via Francigena (now Road 12 Abetone and Brennero) that linked Lucca to Modena. Its position also liked during World War II when it was occupied by German troops before and after their breakout by English ones. After the war, Lugliano was subject to strong emigration, the inhabitants left searching for work in many parts of the world especially to America.
In the “castle” area are always visible the old Castle floor plans with 3 ways, that embrace and the cross it, called “fil di cima”, “fil di mezzo”,” fil di fondo” ( “the edge of the top”, ” middle fil”,” edge of the bottom ” in military jargon and still by the inhabitants. Walking through the village, down from the castle, there are small places that characterize it as a 1600 chapel devoted to St. Anna, where still today flakes of thanks are left on the occasion of births; this chapel opens the way to the upper part of the village. Carrying on there is a small square with a stone fountain built around 1820 by a British family, that lived for a long time in this country. Just next to it there is the majestic Villa Politi, a villa with a cool and characteristic garden, which belonged to the Politi’s since 1550, a noble family which traded silk. Thanks to this trade, they were wealthy and devoted themselves to others. In the field of charity is remembered P. Mario Politi, a Capuchin lived at the turn of the 1500-1600. Recently the last owners donated this villa to the Church and later to the barbantine sisters. Entering the village there is the ancient church devoted to San Martino first and to San Jacopo Maggiore later (celebrated on July 25th). Inside there are 3 naves with stone columns and Ionic capitals. An altar looks after a terracotta Virgin Mary enthroned with the child belonging to Della Robbia’s time. Outside the church, there are 2 oratories devoted to Jesus and the Nativity of Mary. Along the way to the Pizzorne there is another chapel devoted to the Holy face, built in 1600 as a thank to the non-spread of the plague.